View Single Post
Unread 12/06/2017, 03:01 PM   #1
Tripod1404
Registered Member

Mysterious euphyllia disease

Hello Guys,

My tank is experiencing a mysterious euphyllia specific disease. About a month ago I bought a new two headed hammer coral frag. I added this to my euphyllia garden that had a large Hammer, a medium sized frogspawn and a medium sized grape coral. There was also a medium sized torch in close proximity. I also dipped the new hammer in iodine for 30mins before adding.

About 2 weeks ago one head of the new hammer died. The head started to melt lower edge of the head until it reached to the polyp and it melted as well. It took about 2-3 days for this to happen. To be honest I wasnt worried that much since the other head looked healthy and I tough "oh well, this is nature, maybe it was injured". After this everything looked okay for a week or so. Then the same thing happened to the second head of the new hammer.

It then spread to the big hammer coral, frogspawn and the grape coral. I dipped them in iodine solution and I actually went 5X the recommended amount. Frogspawn and the grape coral died anyways in about 2 days and I threw them away when they started to melt the same way. All heads of the big hammer also closed but all but one head opened afterwards. The head that remained closed started to melt so I fragged that head and threw it away.

Now the torch coral started to show the same symptoms. I think I am going to dip in iodine as well (again using 5X recommended amount). What ever this is, it only effects the euphyllia corals. There are some brains and a bubble coral nearby and acroporas just above the euphyllia garden. Non of those show any symptoms.

Do you guys have any idea what this might be. I think it is some kind of bacterial infection since it starts at the edge of the coral and works its way to the polyp. But it doesnt cause a brown jelly. The head simply starts to melt once the rotting reach to the polyp.

Tripod1404 is offline   Reply With Quote