View Single Post
Unread 12/08/2017, 09:35 AM   #292
Subsea
Registered Member

Smokeless Sump

Quote:
Originally Posted by redlobstor View Post
According to this article Ulva and possibly other macros uptake ammonium and not nitrate at night as nitrate uptake is dependent on light intensity.

This has me wondering if we should dose something like ammonium chloride at night to help speed up growth and in theory the algae would grow 24/7 and not just with lights on.

I also wonder how uptake of ammonium and the subsequent growth at night affects the ph of the system. I realize that ph is driven by photosynthesis and respiration of the macro, I know this is more complicated than this I'm just making a point, but considering we know nothing about the mechanisms at play who knows.

Jason

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk
Jason,
What could you smoke in your sump? Tuna Fish.

I have a true joke from having worked in “Blue Water for 35 years. After a difficult 6 month shipyard overhaul, when we went back to the deep water, a welding foreman came out with ship. Being in tuna feeding grounds, we fished every evening on the bow of the ship. Many crew members went to this deck just to enjoy the view and fresh air. It became somewhat of a hangout after a 12 hour workday.

One evening, while fishing, I missed landing a yellow fin that I had fought for 30 minutes. My friend looked at me and said for 20 people to hear,

“You can “tune a piano”, but you can’t “tune a fish”.

Current Tank Info: 10,000G. Greenhouse Macro Growout

Last edited by Subsea; 12/08/2017 at 09:47 AM.
Subsea is offline   Reply With Quote