View Single Post
Unread 12/23/2009, 06:02 PM   #599
Acrylics
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrosdal View Post
ahh, the squeeze thing makes perfect sense. i have been just turning the bottle over and getting very sad when i have it dripping out of the tip before i have it in place and then making nice puddles for me along the way.

when sanding do you go from sanding with 600 to whte buffing compound too red??

thanks james, your posts have been invaluable in helping to understand how to get this to work for me.
Yep, gotta practice with those solvent bottles. Once you get it down, it makes gluing much easier

I rarely buff anything, I use Micro-Mesh for almost everything - much less heat build-up = less stress on the material. But when I do, yep 600 or 1000 grit, then I use an off-white compound, kinda creamy colored. I use two different buffing wheels; one tight weave for doing the actual buffing work that gets the compound. Then another loose weave wheel with no compound that I use very lightly, just enough to get any residual compound off - kinduva clean-up pass

...and... any time

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyboySMB View Post
I'm building my first sump - Great thread & info BTW

It will be made out of 1/4 inch material 18x27x10 (WxLxH) 3 section (skimmer - return - fuge). I'm wondering how small I can get away with on the top cutout flanges - 1 inch or do I have to go with 2 inch?

Using WO-4 as the bonding agent

Is it wrong to "plan" on running a bead of WO-16 on the inside of all the main joints or should I wait to see how the joints look?

Thanks,
Steve
Hi Steve, IMO 1" ought to be fine at 10" high. Most folks 'round here wouldn't even use one, but I think they're a good idea

Hmm, should you plan on using 16? not IMO. Only use it if absolutely necessary, I differ with a lot of people on this though. 16 will not add much strength at all. In these applications - it's just a sealant. IMO plan on not using it and build your sump accordingly. Then use it only if you hafta hafta
If you can get your hands on WO40, I'd much rather see folks use it, *much* better than 16 for these applications

HTH,
James

Acrylics is offline   Reply With Quote