View Single Post
Unread 02/21/2015, 04:07 PM   #92
Chasmodes
Registered Member

I just finished making 2 of the 3 DIY rock bases for the oyster cultches. I think the first one might be a bit dry, and the 2nd one a bit wet, LOL. We'll see. They're sitting in damp sand covered and I won't look for 48 hours. After that, if they're OK, then I'll begin the soaking/water changes for 4-8 weeks. After the 48 hours are up, I'll attempt the third one if the other two turn out OK. If they don't, then I'll smash them up and do it again

I have plenty of materials to work with at least.

My recipe was 2 parts crushed oyster shell, 2 parts sand, and one part portland cement, and a little water. The first batch was dry oat meal, the second was a little runny.

Why not do the third now? Because my molding/sand container is full with the other two, so I can wait.

My wife thinks that I'm a nut.

I need more oysters, but we're getting hammered with snow today. If it melts by mid week, I may try to see if I can get some from our local seafood restaurant. They have AYCE crab legs, so I may have to partake

--Kevin Wilson

Current Tank Info: 101g 3'X3'X18" Cubish Oyster Reef Blenny tank, 36"X17"X18" sump
Chasmodes is offline   Reply With Quote