View Single Post
Unread 09/10/2006, 10:55 PM   #75
ybenormal
Registered Member

Depending on the type of life on the rocks and how well it tolerated shipping, it can take a week or more for die off to taper off and for nitrifying bacteria to catch up with the load. High ammonia levels will only add to the problem, so you are doing the right thing in trying to keep them under control.

Do you have a good skimmer on the new tank?

Before performing PWCs, use a turkey baster to dislodge and stir up sediment and dead material on the LR. It would not hurt to do this several times per day anyway so the debris can more easily be removed by your skimmer.

You'd also be better off doing one 50% PWC (50% reduction in ammonia) rather than two 25% PWCs (43.75% reduction in ammonia). Personally, I'd do one 50% PWC in the morning then check in the evening and do another 25-50% PWC if the ammonia level is > .5. If all goes well everything should begin to settle in within the next few days and you can begin to enjoy the fruits of your labor.

Edit/Disclaimer: The larger water change recommendation above applies only while the tank is cycling. Once established, smaller and more frequent PWCs are preferred over less frequent and larger PWCs. I'm sure you are already aware of this but I thought it might be a good idea to point this out for folks who are new to the hobby.

ybenormal is offline   Reply With Quote