View Single Post
Unread 09/09/2012, 10:57 AM   #9
swcc
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2hands View Post
What kind of nutrient export methonds are you using?
I am currently using skimmer, filter sock, and chaeto.

Since I am seeing no nitrates i could add some bio-balls. That might be a safe way to add nitrate. In a couple of weeks i should be making some nitrate...
The idea here is to not change out the sock as frequently, or don't necessarily remove as much detritus with your siphon when doing water changes...
You don't want to go too far though...for instance if you change socks daily go to twice a week(or if normally twice a week try weekly). If you normally use a turkey baster on your rocks and try and siphon as much detritus as possible from the substrate/bottom during a water change forgo the turkey baster to the rocks and just siphon the big stuff from the tank bottom. Do one or a combination...experiment over time to find the right balance of dosing and husbandry. Another thing is remove the cheato it is not necessary and you don't want it to start receding and polluting your tank.
FWIW, I run sock, skimmer, UV. I vodka dose 1ml per day and have zero readable phosphate and nitrate... I used to change socks everday and blow off rocks and clean substrate weekly... The trace nitrate I had(about 2ppm) went to unreadable but I could still read .003 phosphate when doing that...now I change sock twice a week and just grab any larger detritus from the top of substrate and that is what seemed to allow the phosphate to be unreadable along with the nitrate. No cyano and no bacterial bloom.

Last edited by swcc; 09/09/2012 at 11:10 AM.
swcc is offline   Reply With Quote