View Single Post
Unread 03/06/2018, 09:10 AM   #4
mcgyvr
Registered Member

This really has nothing to do with your question but I'll post it here in case others want to go down the automation route..

My dislike for smart bulbs...
The thing that people tend to not thing about and the reasons I only purchased one Hue pack and will not purchase anymore is this..

1)If the wall light switch is off they won't work.. And your wife may not be into the automation as much as you are and just want to use the darn wall switch.. And she WILL leave it off on many occasions rending your expensive bulbs useless..

2)Its cheaper in the long run and in many occasions to replace the wall switch controlling the light and not replace the light itself.. Example.. A 5 bulb dining room chandelier can cost you $50+ in bulbs yet the wall switch is only $35 and never needs to be replaced where the bulbs may over time..
Your wife can also use the switch all she wants and your smartphone,etc.. can still control everything just fine..

Moral of the story.. Home Automation via replacing wall switches and outlets is far smarter than purchasing smart bulbs,etc...