View Single Post
Unread 12/23/2015, 08:59 PM   #13
powderblue1
Registered Member

Hello gentlemen. First I will speak to Bertoni. A more basic solution will lower pH, however slightly that may be. You say "conform". If what you mean by that is go down then yes it will conform. My tank's CaCO3 levels hover around 100 - 110 ppm due to the number of corals in the system and extreme coraline cake. I have been dosing Calcium Carbonate in my RO water forever and it raises the pH as well as alk of the solution. If I put straight RO water from my source in the tank to replace the gallon of top-off I lose a day then I would be in trouble indeed.

Next, in reply to Tom, who does seem to know his stuff, but is a bit confused by my posts, I must say that I apologize again if you are not understanding me. The quote you pulled from that article is supporting what I am saying about high alk levels. Can you tell me what happens to the Mg once it gets into the growing surface? I'm not sure, but Mg levels might be less if it gets removed during calcification, and at the same time being absorbed by organisms. I think it is safe to say that levels over 200ppm is bad for a number of reasons. Thank you for your knowledge and literature.

Great site reefers. Thank you for your time and attention. What is your tanks CaCO3 at on a given Sunday? I wish I could keep mine higher, but I guess I will add some more buffer,, or now baked baking soda to my water change water and top-off water. I have to get a pic on for y'all. PEACE...

powderblue1 is offline   Reply With Quote