View Single Post
Unread 10/24/2013, 10:02 AM   #1
EDJFA
Registered Member

Dual overflow plumbing

I'm just days away from (hopefully) seeing water in my new tank. It's a 210g with dual overflows. I'm setting it up in my office where I meet with clients and talk on the phone all day long. So, my system needs to be really quiet.

Each of the overflow boxes has two holes drilled in the bottom of the tank. I've been reading about the Bean Animal system and if I could pull that off it would be perfect. But that system uses three standpipes in the same overflow box. I have thought about putting the the third emergency drain in the second overflow and using the fourth hole for the return from my sump.

This would basically mean that I've got one functioning overflow. The threads I've read have made it sound like you can run as much flow as you want through the one main drain. Only in an emergency would that second overflow drain be used. It would mean that the first two pipes have become clogged somehow rendering the first overflow useless.

I'm not trying to create any massive water movement in my display with the return. Just trying to get the water down to the sump for skimming/heating/dosing, etc and then back up again.

Am I wrong in my assumptions with the overflow setup?

If anyone has any other suggestions, I'm open to hearing them.

EDJFA is offline   Reply With Quote