View Single Post
Unread 04/23/2017, 05:20 AM   #2
Moort82
Registered Member

In truth I think the lack of response is because people don't think it is the easiest thing to do. We used to see lots of fragmented plate corals (fungi, cycloceris), like a quarter or eight of the mother but that stopped years ago because people found the time it took for them to grow out wasn't worth it. I'd imagine it's the same with trachys which don't grow massively fast either.
I've seen plenty of cataphyllias cut as well as other fleshy polyp species and water quality is the most important thing. There are people who advocate an iodine dip straight away but I always find leaving this a few days give for better success. I also run carbon on the tank and leave them in a lower flow (but still enough to gentle take any excess mucus away) area for a few days to a week, depending on how they heal, and then to a higher flow area.

With plates I have chopped a couple but only when there was damage to coral. A clean cut has worked well and I've often saved the coral like this. It was in a shop situation so I never kep one to see how quickly they regrew. I have at home however flipped a plate over diliberately to kill it off, so I could watch it come back rom a dead skeleton. So far that particular coral has produced a hundred or so babies.

Moort82 is offline   Reply With Quote