View Single Post
Unread 01/14/2017, 09:34 AM   #24
ericarenee
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkS View Post
Please do not follow this advice! OSB is not an appropriate material for a plywood aquarium. OSB is cheap and has a great deal of shear strength along the plane of the board, but not much bend strength. This is why it is used as exterior building sheeting and not flooring. Plywood can withstand a great deal of pressure.
actually this is true BUT..

strand board absorbs moisture better then plywood.. If you were to build it using two layers of material.. sandwiching them together 3/4 plywood glued to say even 3/8 strand board . The NON Waxed Stuff.. Cheap stuff that is 10.00 a sheet at box store..

This in theory would be a better solution then plywood alone.
My reasons for this..

The resin will be absorbed into the stand board and have a tighter bond then if you use plywood.. Strand board is not bonded layers so the resin could be locked deeper into the fibers..

I have tore floors up where idiots. ooops people did not use underlayment between strand board sub floor and glue down Tile ,You have to ripe the whole sub floor up as the glue goes deep into the strand board.. With plywood sub floors the glue usually just sits on the surface and might tear some of the first layer up...

So since all the pressure will be out word force in the strand the ply behind it would be the structure the strand board would become part of the fiberglass structure.. Boats are made with this technique for the above reason..

I Have never done this.. but it has some logic to it.. the strand board mentioned above that is supposed to be Water Resistance makes Great Concrete form materials because the wax on the surface prevents forms from sticking and they fall apart for easy tear down..

Anyway sorry to keep Its just something that came to my mind due to a discussion of another plywood tank build thread that is using STRAND Board. for the above reason. it just has a Different structure method..

Sometimes you gotta think outside the box to get the best results.

Erica Renee

Current Tank Info: 240= gal Reef /550 Gallon Saltwater pond 72 G Bay front Tropical aquarium
ericarenee is offline   Reply With Quote