View Single Post
Unread 08/10/2003, 10:09 PM   #21
MiNdErAsR
Dark Lord of Sriracha!

Re: daily feedings

Quote:
Originally posted by dragon_slayer
I feed my tank daily with ESV spray dried phytoplankton
Actually you might want to rethink this. A couple of MACNA's ago (2001?) Rob Toonen did a presentation concerning the various planktonic foods (iirc DT's, Cryo-pastes, Golden Pearls, Spray Dried Phytoplankton, and Black Powder...there may have been others as well) available to the hobby. As it turned out ESV SDPP tends to clump up into a particle size which is too large for the animals (I forget which) involved in testing. This was the case even if a high speed blender was used.

Clams require a very specific particle size of phytoplankton, otherwise their gills could become clogged. This can be fatal to the clam. The articles on this very subject, linked at the top of this thread, are definitely worth the read.

Live phytoplankton (such as DT's) should not be a cause for concern as a source for pollution. What doesn't get eaten will survive until it does get eaten, or be removed via skimming. I'd be more concerned with uneaten freeze-dried foods polluting the tank.

IMO, IME

Cancer is Les' enemy, cancer is my enemy, the enemy of something, something, friend, something, something...
Therefore Les is my friend - El Barto

Current Tank Info: Gone With The Wind
MiNdErAsR is offline   Reply With Quote