View Single Post
Unread 02/15/2020, 11:22 PM   #19
Scrubber_steve
I'm really very likeable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Hoaster View Post
I've never heard of an aquarium without an algae phase. It's hard to imagine!
Its only possible in a tank cycled with fresh live rock, not possible in a tank cycled with dry rock, which is common now days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Hoaster View Post
It sounds like you'd advise new tank owners to leave the lights out for the first two months or so, to get through the cycle. And doing this will allow them to avoid an early algae phase. And it does not 'kick the can down the road', giving them an algae phase later, right?
I see it this way, & this is directed especially to tanks cycling with dry rock.

You start with an enormous surface area void of bacteria of any kind.

You intentionally manipulate the cycling by adding ammonia - specific bacteria, ghost feeds, etc, to aide in the proliferation of nitrogen oxidising bacteria in particular.

You give the surfaces enough time to be completely covered in nitrogen oxidising bacteria, & other beneficial bacteria so that no surface area is bacteria free.

These beneficial bacteria have now established themselves, & have an advantage over other bacteria that may be introduced there-after, bacteria that would have to now fight the established beneficial bacteria in an attempt to steal their land.

Sounds good.

But what happens if the tank is illuminated during this cycling period?

Ugly algae have now been invited to sprout, & along with the ugly algae comes their own special brand of symbiotic bacteria that help them proliferate.

So the symbiotic algae bacteria are easily able to also colonise the available surface area & establish themselves along with all the beneficial bacteria.

This is not what you want to happen.

So wait till the beneficial bacteria have completely taken over all available surface area so that when the lights come on, & the ugly algae come along with their bacteria buddies to gate crash the party, the party won't end up a disaster with the chemical cops being called in to implement order.

Current Tank Info: Algae scrubbed.
Scrubber_steve is offline   Reply With Quote