View Single Post
Unread 01/12/2017, 12:48 AM   #11
Joe Lydon
Registered Member

I'm using 100% solids epoxy, with enough build to eliminate any grain. It's food grade safe material, for potable water reservoir containers. IE inside of water towers, etc.

With that said, I'm going to go with the 2 sheets of plywood retaining method for the bottom. Where the upper piece of plywood is just smaller than the base, by the thickness of the glass. Followed up by securing an outer frame to the base.

I'm thinking of going a step further, and coming up with a way to make this aquarium rimless. It's 1" glass with beveled polished edges. Would be nice to see it. 33" tall glass, with 30" of water. Worst case scenario, I brace the top.

Hydrostatic pressure at 30" of water, is 15psi + whatever the powerheads create. 1" glass has a safety factor of 5, at this water level, with that 84" span.

The problem with going rimless, is, the bond strength to the epoxy on the back wall. In what way can I secure/reinforce that bond, without being obstructive to the front of the tank?

I was thinking euro braces on all 4 top corners. Triangle shaped, reaching maybe 6" out from the corners.

Also considering a glass euro brace on the outside of the tank. Maybe a 10x33" piece of glass, coming 6" out with full contact onto the side of the tank, and 4" behind/beyond with full contact to a 2x4 coated in 100% solids epoxy. That's a lot of surface area of bonding/contact.

Tell me if I'm crazy, please don't call me stupid. (you can do that if I post photos of what 400 gallons of water looks like on the floor) Constructive criticism is always welcome.

Cheers

Joe Lydon is offline   Reply With Quote