View Single Post
Unread 01/12/2017, 03:21 AM   #28
Rakie
In Memoriam

Oh man, there's so much to say here..

Firstly, you said you did a FW dip for 2 hours, which I realize was a typo -- But the guy who gave you advice to read up on acclimation made that statement BEFORE you clarified it was a Typo. Having not known it was a typo, telling someone to read a little more before buying fish after a 2 hour dip is pretty good advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackTip View Post
You should never drip acclimate mail ordered fish. The fish is extremely stressed from the capturing and the shipping process, then you put it is a fresh water for two hours. I am surprised that he is not already dead.

You just have to wait and pray for the fish to make it.

Please read more about the acclimation process, before your order any more livestock.

This is honest, truthful, and good advice. It's not his fault you had a typo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter31707 View Post
On top of the ammonia after opening the bag.

You see OP? Typically when people drip acclimate they use the same water the fish was in. You didn't specify that you changed the water to match the bag, and again, after the typo saying you left the fish in FW for 2 hours everyone naturally figured you are new to the hobby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairalgae85 View Post
Oh no? Why do all lfs, and I mean all, drip acclimate wholesaled fish which guess what, come from quality marine (liveaquaria) Guess there wrong too. You should really not offer advice.

Do not tell me not to order anymore, I have been at this since the 90s, acclimated hundreds, just never had one with this issue.

This right here? This is you being childish, getting offended at someone trying to give you good advice, and being arrogant. Immediately you got defensive and uppity. There was no problem until you created it, right here, immediately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairalgae85 View Post
I was told various times to stay off this sight, from owners of wholesales, reputable LFS, as well as a avian vet who tinkers in the reef hobby. Oh, and most if not all, the "big name" frag growers who everyone pays handsomely. A couple, no names mentioned, have said to steer clear of here for its advice. Any clown can list advice.

There's so much here it's really interesting. But this is the best; "Oh, and most if not all, the "big name" frag growers who everyone pays handsomely." They don't want you to come here because we sell their frags for half of what they sell them for. You should ask these guys about people selling frags of their corals. Some of them understand that's how it goes and shrug it off. Others feel absolutely cheated. Reputable LFS often dislike clubs and forums too. It'$ a total my$tery what'$ cau$ing the$e LF$ to form the$e opinion$ of the forum$. Total my$tery.

You have gotten a lot of good advice which you've ignored by dropping names and titles. An Avian vet, truly the holy grail of reefing advice. You also somehow assumed we knew the great 'hairalgae85'. The reefer who comes asking for help only to argue with all who dare make suggestions, while getting immediately hot-headed, and blaming everyone but himself for his lashing out at people.

The people who don't like it here are the people who don't take advice. Odds are, you won't like the other big sites either. Mostly because many members are part of every big reefing site. So you'll run into the same people.

You said 'Please help', so here are the basics:
1) Don't drip acclimate shipped fish
2) Read up on how to properly acclimate mail order fish
3) If you drip acclimated a fish you got in the mail -- You did it wrong. Fish need slower acclimation than that. Fish need around 24 hours to fully adjust to a salinity change of .03

And as for 3.. I know most fish will survive anyways, but that doesn't mean it's ideal. If someone chokes you for about 7-8 seconds you'll be fine. But that doesn't make it pleasant.

Last edited by Rakie; 01/12/2017 at 03:29 AM.
Rakie is offline   Reply With Quote