View Single Post
Unread 03/06/2011, 02:03 PM   #1
katchupoy
Moved On

(Another) DIY LED Controller - Simple Arduino Style

Hello to all... its me again,

I was asked if I can make another thread about DIY, this time concentrating on the Arduino LED Controller. I guess they really like how I explained things when I build my DIY LED on this thread. Well I will try my best to do the same easy to understand way for those people "like me" havent done this before.

History: I just wanted to build a LED lighting for my 75 gallon mixed reef tank. Just simple LED lighting that will turn on and off like my old T5 rig. But I have a habit of "FUTURE PROOFING" things if I can so that when time comes, I dont have to redo or purchase things again. So I ended up going with the DIMMABLE drivers specifically ELN60-48D. Yes 48D because I just want to dim it manually in case where I want to acclimatize my corals, etc.

Well, I was wrong. When I learned about Arduino, I became hooked. Imagine a small smart computer for $20-$30. Nobody told me that this will be very addictive. To my limited knowledge, it was a nightmare but I believe its worth it.

So enough with my ba ba bla ba bla.... Lets start.

I hope you can follow me on this one and hope that i can explain it well to you too....

Disclaimer... Im a total newbie with Arduino. So if you think you have a stupid question.... ask away! I bet I dont know the answer too... hahaha... But Im sure experts here will be kind enough to help us in our journey...

References... Here are some that are related or similar Arduino projects going around...

a) Who wants a cheap, simple, Arduino-based LED controller? - Very good thread to read and follow. Specially if you are into electronics and programming. But to some people like me, this is a bit overwhelming.

b) The Hydra Project - Another detailed blow by blow thread about making a Reef Controller based on Arduino environment. Ha ha, this is way to much for me... so if you have plenty of time to kill, and have the itch to create a controller for your tank, then that thread is for you.

c) Open Source Aquarium Controller Project - Hoping that someday will be able to do the same. The good thing with Arduino, is its modular. You can add more features as you learn more.

d) Aquarium Controller based on the Arduino Microcontroller - Another build that I believe is very similar to what Im doing.

e) Arduino - . A very simple and cheap computer.

Remember... This project is for you if you have similar or exactly the same hardware that I have...

Meanwell Dimmable Drivers - ELN60-48D or 48P. I believe the key here is that if your driver requires 0-10 volt signal. In case with 48D... 0-10 volt analog signal. And with 48P... 0-10 volts PWM signal. Also, some people told me that it is not good to use Arduino with 48D. Because Arduino have PWM signal and 48D requires analog signal. Its not good but it also does not mean that it wont work... So warning, please use your own disgression if you want to do it or not. Hehehe, I did, and so far so good. Dont blame me ok if you kill your driver....

Arduino Hardware - Im using duemilanove. This is very similar with other Arduino Hardware found here.

Here are the parts... - The reason I chose this components and stores is because they are the cost effective at that time. So if you know a better deal, let us know.

1) DFRDUINO DUEMILANOVE 328 (ARDUINO COMPATIBLE) - $24.00 - DFRobot (china, very fast shipping)

2) LCD SHIELD FOR ARDUINO - $17.00 - DFRobot (china, very fast shipping)
Maybe I can use the buttons in the future?

3) DS1307 Real Time Clock breakout board kit - $9.00 - Adafruit

4) Generic NPN Transistor Switch - NPN 2N2222 or similar at local electronic stores. I believe Radio Shack has some equivalent.
How many? Well how many channels you want to control independently. On my 3 rails, I have two channel. One channel to control Blue (2 rails), and another one to control white (1 rail).

5) 1K Resistor - How many? 1 for each transistor.

Thats it... Shipping cost for DFRobot (china) is $14.00 for both items (arduino+lcd). So please consider that also when looking where to buy.

Here is another site that sells Arduino based in San Diego... Hacktronics.

Last edited by katchupoy; 03/06/2011 at 03:02 PM.
katchupoy is offline   Reply With Quote