Thread: Weeds
View Single Post
Unread 08/06/2019, 11:05 AM   #1011
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

A little plant management today.

I moved a few sprigs of feather caulerpa from less desirable areas to more desirable ones - the back wall. I removed some large clumps of black grasilaria. Pretty easy to do, when they get so big. Little frags get released, so I chase them down with a net.

I've also been monitoring my army of snails interest in eating this undesirable plant. I've noticed one area where it is receding. I think the lack of micro algae causes them to look for alternatives. This is great, as long as they don't go after the desirables!

One of the 'shrub' grasilarias (not as fine as the regular, red grasilaria, not as thick as the tree grasilaria) was getting too big and was shading some of the Halymenia elongotta and Botryocladia. I swapped it out with a smaller one, trading their positions on the patch reef. This should allow much better growth for those more desirable, showy plants.

Mr Crabs, the emerald crab molted the other day. Today he finally ventured over to the patch reef, where green bubble algae is growing. He's been painfully close, but I haven't seen him go after any yet.

The Manatee Grass continues to grow back, but at a snail's pace. It looks like damaged plants are not recovering (so far, at least), which is a bummer. So all new growth is coming from plants that weren't harmed. If this holds true, it will take a long time for it to get back to its former glory.

SaltySully, would you be up for another manatee grass run?

Also, the Tuxedo Damsels (2) are still doing well in QT, at week 3. I'm considering moving one in with the other, to get them used to each other, and to test out the transition box. One of them seems like he would appreciate some company. We'll see!

Current Tank Info: 180g Seagrass Sandbar Lagoon, START DATE November 28, 2018
Michael Hoaster is offline   Reply With Quote