View Single Post
Unread 11/13/2011, 01:02 AM   #35
3rdimension
Registered Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mess7777 View Post
It is mentioned plenty in the link provided above You cannot perform this in a regular reef tank, fish can handle it but many other organisms will die from this low salinity. Read up and be careful.
What if you have a FOWArtificialReef tank like mine? No live rock, all rock, plants, reef are artificial. Then I'd assume it would be ok to do this in a desperate scenario and didn't have a QT setup. I really see the importance of having a QT even with a setup like mine, so you don't have to put other fish through unnecessary stress with hypo-salinity. But if worse came to worse, I believe it would be the better solution than transferring them over to a smaller QT stressing them out even more in smaller confinement. Even if the ich shows predominantly present in just one or two of the fish, and just those fish are placed in the QT, ich will still be thriving in the main tank in the sand and then host on any fish left in the main tank. Therefore, I feel the more humane and easier treatment for my FOWAR tank is to use the hypo-salinity method. It sounds like the best solution especially with a fully stocked tank.

3rdimension is offline   Reply With Quote