Thread: Colorado Reef
View Single Post
Unread 09/25/2018, 08:06 AM   #2
benbarfield
Registered Member

9/25 update

We've moved into a new home and started construction on the basement and where the new 300 gallon reef will live. The first pictures show the new door into what will be the fish room and the second photo shows the framing in the basement.

IMG_2811

IMG_2788

We've since finished the basement and now I have dedicated my attention to construction the fish room. I cut and framed the opening to the wall where you will be able to view the tank from the living area.

IMG_0416

Next was framing out the viewing window. I probably should have used a 2x6 instead of a 2x4 header but since the wall is not weight bearing I figured it would be fine. I put in 6 separate electrical circuits to supply the tank room to ensure that I have plenty of power and fail safes so everything can be split up between them. After electrical was in, I put insulation in the walls and covered it with soundboard to try and get the room as quiet as possible so I don't hear pumps and the tanks from the living room. The metal support pole is inconvenient in the tank room, but I have enough room to get the tank in a run plumbing off the back of the tank and not hit the pole. Once the soundboard was in place, I starting hanging cement backboard to the walls and ceiling. It has since been taped and mudded on all seams and concrete caulk place at all seams. Today I will be applying RedGard to everything in the room. This will seal the cement board and make the room waterproof.

IMG_0419

IMG_0422

IMG_0424

IMG_0421

IMG_0425

IMG_0426

benbarfield is offline   Reply With Quote