View Single Post
Unread 06/26/2017, 08:58 AM   #406
DivingTheWorld
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Reefman View Post
Does the new Marriott Courtyard have a boat ramp?

We've never been to Lazy Days, so that will absolutely get added to our list of places to visit.

We share your view of Key West vs Marathon. We'll be there for a day before we head out to Ft Jefferson and the Dry Tortugas for a 2 night camping/snorkeling/fort touring/night sky watching trip this Fall.

I love the photo of your son with the urchin. What a great teaching experience!

I'm wondering where you may be going in Hawaii? I was there back in the mid 90's and stayed in Kona on the west side of the big island. They had some very good snorkeling, great weather, something like 9" of rain per year yet just 60 miles to the east, Hilo gets over 300" of rain per year! And the volcano visits were spectacular! You can drive to the top of Mauna Kea at 13,800 feet. Looking to the east and you are above the cloud tops, there are several huge telescopes there and when you look down to the west you can see Kona and all the way to sea level! While I was there in February, Mauna Kea still had some snow on the north face but it was warm enough for just a light jacket. And Mauna Loa was active and pouring lava into the ocean!
There is a ramp next to the Marriott, but I don't think it's for guests. You'd have to call them to know for sure.

There are two Lazy Days, one on Marathon and one on Islamarada. The one on Marathon looked nice, but the one on Islamarada was really special.

I've been to Oahu and Maui a few times. We'll probably take the kids to Maui. It's less busy than Oahu, but still has enough going on to keep the kids occupied. Maui has some of the best shore diving in the Islands and some good snorkeling too. It's also a good jumping off point for diving Molokini and Lanai.