View Single Post
Unread 08/13/2017, 10:30 AM   #1
Clowning_Around
Registered Member

Fun DIY $5 Bulkhead Tool & Bonus :)

I had been using a piece of wood cut such that it was wishbone shape to use as a tool in either the wrench or in socket position. Simply a scrap piece of 2x6 notched on the end the width of the nut. This works but in another thread I read from Gorgok how he used a piece of 3in pvc to make a socket. I liked this idea and really liked how if I had one aswell it would keep me from having to keep up with a big clunky piece of wood with my aquarium supplies. I didn't see a dedicated thread on making this tool so I decided to photo document my effort and make a thread for others.

I don't know if it this is a commonly known / borrowed idea in the hobby but I give credit to Gorgok for the concept or atleast my first exposure to this concept.

So to start I needed supplies, specifically pvc for a 1.5in bulkhead nut, that I was wanting. I started at my local HD, a 3in pvc pipe but knew it barely covered the profile of the nut (brought ot with me ). I looked for various pieces that could slide inside to double up the wall thickness which I recalled was needed. While I was looking at the plumbing supply aisle for a slip plug insert, a reducing adapter bushing or a dbl'd threaded plug/cap I quickly was reminded of how limited the typical selections where for 3in pipe. Intially, I ended up with a 2 ft. piece of 3in pipe and a floor drain insert in my hands but kept shaking my head thinking there had to be a more cost effective way to do this. I know, I know... I was being cheap but I also knew I didnt want to spend much given I still had my old handy wooden tool . I did have pvc primer and cement at home and given such little would be used I wasn't factor that into the cost. For anyone who doesnt already have this you can grab an 8oz can of each in a combo pack for a little under 9 bucks, but I'm assuming we all already have this for other aquarium plumbing needs, especially since we're talking bulkheads here. So back to the supplies, in short I ended up over in the electrical department where pvc conduit is sold. They have 2.5in size sch 40 gray pvc and the ends are flared on one end for slip connections, I thought great, however a 10ft section and 15 bucks , to much waste and to much dough. Then I noticed a 2.5in pvc 45 degree sweep elbow - 5 bucks, Perfect!

So onto the pics....

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: Custom Oak Stand | 75G FO Display | 40G Breeder Sump | MarinePure Ceramic Media Plate | Eshopps x-120 skimmer | Mag9 Return | Aqua Ultraviolet Advantage 2000+ 15w

Last edited by Clowning_Around; 08/13/2017 at 11:08 AM.
Clowning_Around is offline   Reply With Quote