View Single Post
Unread 11/15/2018, 12:09 AM   #9
BeachVacationer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsentrixsupra View Post
Awesome thanks for the suggestion.

So you just stuffed a sponge/mechanical filtration in chamber 1 where the skimmer is supposedly supposed to go? Did you plug the hole in the bottom middle section of chamber 2 as well? I've seen videos and pics of people doing that online who say it helps increase flow.
My tank has 2 clownfish and probably way too many BTAs plus a decent size leather coral and a tuxedo urchin so I run the Fluval skimmer in chamber 1. I use the stock sponge that came with it in the middle chamber but I removed the little bags of carbon and ceramics. I put a larger bag of carbon underneath this sponge. Since the carbon is where that little hole is, I didn't plug that hole. I actually think that hole is important to circulate water around the carbon. If you plug it, I think that area becomes stagnant and the carbon becomes useless. Worried about circulation? With the upgraded return pump, it's pumping 315 gallons per hour. That's turning over the whole tank like 20 times per hour. That's way more than enough even if it's reduced by that little hole.

If you don't want the skimmer, yeah I would put a sponge in the top half of both chamber 1 and 2. I would put chemical media under the sponges. You won't need a big heater so you can put additional chemical media in the return chamber too.

BeachVacationer is offline   Reply With Quote