View Single Post
Unread 05/16/2020, 09:11 PM   #1
CassandrAlys
Registered Member

Setup Plans & Dreams

Hi!

So, once upon a time I had a mixed reef tank, with way too many mistakes and unplanned disasters. This time, before I buy a damn thing, I'm doing all the research my heart can take.

Now, it'll be a while before I can purchase anything- the plan is to build the house, and the reef I'm planning is PART of that plan. It won't be inset into a wall (I'm too afraid of the humidity damage inside the walls *shivers*, but we're rearranging windows and changing the scope of the room to be able to showcase it the way I'd like.

We're planning on building a custom stand that will house the lights above and all the equipment below. It'll be close to a window that I plan to use to drain the water from the water changes, rather than hauling it back to the kitchen (not that that's too far off, but simplicity is best). And for those of you concerned about sunlight, the windows we're getting have blinds inset- the type you see in Germany?- to ward off extra algae growth. Also planning on putting the tank on a separate breaker and plumbing water to the outside of the house just behind the tank (at the very least a spigot, but possible even an outdoor sink).

I know I want a mixed reef tank, and it will be a minimum of 125 gallons, possibly up to 180. It's unlikely it'll be larger than that at this point, but I'd like to plan for the 180 just in case. (It's always better to highball those numbers than see them creep up!) I also want to automate as much as humanly possible, so that when I do take my vacations I don't have to have someone at the house on the daily.

At the moment, I'm looking for advice on your best automated systems & what they're used for, what equipment you feel is necessary for a healthy, mixed reef tank (to include lights and anything else you can think of), what test kits you feel are necessary, and any other advice you have. It's been so long since I've had a tank, and my life has changed more than I could have imagined. I want to do it right this time, from the very start.

Thanks in advance for your help!

CassandrAlys is offline   Reply With Quote