View Single Post
Unread 02/10/2007, 10:43 PM   #119
figuerres
Registered Member

Re: New to saltwater aquariums

Quote:
Originally posted by GregK
Hi everyone.
I've been into freshwater aquariums for many years and am ready to move up to saltwater. I've been visiting TB Saltwater's website for quite awhile reading testimonials and checking out the pictures customers would post there.

Anyway, I think I'm ready to try my hand at my first reef aquarium. I emailed Richard at TB Saltwater with a couple of questions, and he suggested I come here and pose them. So here they are:

1) I'm seriously considering getting one of two Aqua Pod 24 gallon models. The only difference, as far as I know, between the two models is the lighting package. One comes with something they call a sun pod that is basically a metal halide system with day and night lights built into it. The other model has a compact flourescent lighting system. If you are interested, you can read more in depth descriptions of them here: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Produc...6&N=2004+62760

The system with the flourescent lighting costs $170 and the system with the metal halide lighting costs $330. My question basically boils down to: Is the metal halide system worth the extra cost or will the other system perform similarly?

2) Does anyone here have experience with either of those Aqua Pod systems? Should I look for a different manufacturer/model?

3) Once I get my aquarium, I am definitely planning on ordering the "package" from TB Saltwater. Does it perform well with this small of an aquarium?

Sorry for the long post. Thanks in advance for any feedback you can give me.
well a few things:

I think some of the threads here are from folks with small tanks just like the "pod" -- look around and see what they say.

what do you want in the reef?

in general most stuff will do ok with power compact lights.
the metal halide are needed form some hard corals and clams.

I tend to go with the "bigger tanks are better" camp but that's me

just do some reading -- I'm sure some good threads right here are from your small tanks...

:-)

Current Tank Info: 150 reef tank underway, getting it stocked
figuerres is offline   Reply With Quote