View Single Post
Unread 04/02/2012, 10:34 AM   #18
EddieJ
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0bab0ey View Post
Good job! I've enjoyed reading your posts as you seem to be handling this whole ordeal with a sense of humor and a positive attitude! Just one suggestion: Have you thought of using an alternative method such as copper or tank transfer? All of the fish you mentioned sound like good candidates for both. I would just suggest researching a little bit more on RC before committing yourself to hypo.
Yup, I did consider them all. Here was my take:

1) Copper : Didn't want to run chemo on my fish, basically that is what you are doing. poisoning the fish hoping it can outlast the parasite. If I wasn't concerned about the welfare of my fish I would have just "Feed'em heavy and let them battle it off". Once you know ICH is in your system, yes, it's affecting your fish if you see it or not.

2) Tank transfer: This sounds like an excellent option, but not for multiple fish in a 70 gallon QT. I really like this approach for that new fish your are putting thru your QT regimen.

I think I am going to develop a two tank QT regimen using the tank transfer method in a hypo saline environment for new arrivals. Seems to make the most sense. You get the benefits of stress reduction as the fish use much less energy on Osmoregulation and you can also rule out the ICH strains that reportedly can survive in a hypo saline environment. Was thinking something like this:

Introduction / lower environment to hypo saline / tank transfer / slow increase in salinity / Prazi and out...

Seems that would be an excellent regimen.

EddieJ is offline   Reply With Quote