View Single Post
Unread 02/17/2010, 10:25 PM   #11
pledosophy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishGrrl View Post
Did you also know that the global decline in pirates caused global warming?

Didn't you start this whole poll process?

At some point you have to use common sense and apply some other sources of information/experience to your conclusion IMO.

At one point the point was adamantly defended that salt water was the cause of GBD because it was present in all cases. IMO this is an example that anything can be taken to an extreme and facts twisted to suit the twister.

In reality the cause of GBD is not so simple. There are multiple factors involved which makes the solutions more complex. Since this thread was originated more is understood about Gas Bubble Disease, and it is my opinion there are multiple triggers, not all related.

IME removing a Remora Pro protein skimmer can alleviate GBD, adding the skimmer caused a reoccurance, which was again alleviated by removing the skimmer. Adding the skimmer again followed another reoccurance, which was again alleviated after removing the skimmer. For a year after the skimmer was removed for good, there were no more cases of GBD. Similar experiences have been reported by others, including public aquariums, zoo's, and university's. Others have reported no change after removing a skimmer and after multiple treatments of Diamox antibiotics had to be used to alleviate the reoccurring conditions.

I do not think it is the skimmer alone, but I do think under certain conditions that protein skimmers can be contributing factors. IMO this may have to do with C02 levels, O2 levels, and at some point pH levels. IMO it is likely some cases of GBD have little to do with Co2/O2 levels.

Since there are cases of GBD where no skimmer is on the system I do think it is fair to say at this point that a protein skimmer is not the sole cause of GBD. Since many seahorses keepers do keep seahorses with protein skimmers and do not experience GBD I do think it is safe to say they will not definitely cause GBD. Since to my knowledge there are no reported cases of GBD in the wild, I would think it is something unique to aquarium life that is the cause. It is however possible that there are cases in the wild and these seahorses are not long for the world, easy prey for a passing bird or many fishes.

There is still very much we do not know.

pledosophy is offline   Reply With Quote