View Single Post
Unread 03/20/2017, 09:58 PM   #8
drawman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potatohead View Post
From what I have researched NoPox is basically 60% vinegar and 40% vodka, although according to Red Sea it's a little more complicated than that.

I came home tonight and there's a bit more cyano so I have cut my dose down to 1 ml from about 3.5 it was before. I have only five small fish, small cuc, feed pellets on auto feeder (small amount) twice a day and frozen once. Pretty light load.

Here's the deal;

- Tank is three months old, rock is eleven months old. Started originally with dry rock
- I have a good skimmer
- running GFO in a reactor and carbon in a bag in sump baffle

I don't really feel my water can be much better;

Salinity 1.0255-1.026
Calcium 430-440
Alk 7.7 - 8.0. I test every day and 90% of the time it's 7.8 or 7.9
Mag 1320
Nitrate 7-8
Phosphate .02-.06 depending on what I feed

My tank is doing ok but can certainly be better. I have an eight bulb Sunpower over it which should be tons of light, I started conservatively with it 16" above water and 5 hour main photoperiod, 7 hour total. I'm now at 13" and 6.5 main 8.5 total, so I'm probably halfway to where I will end up, too little light intensity could certainly be the issue. I have some corals like setosa and acans doing great, a Cali tort growing like crazy, but some others just existing and kind of meh.

I'm concerned however about stopping NoPox altogether as other than skimmer and gfo I have no other means of nutrient reduction. No fuge, no pellets, no scrubber, etc.
Agreed nopox is pretty much just ethanol and vinegar. Even though your rock is a little older I wonder if it's a little early for the tank to need the carbon dosing.

Current tanks:
30 gallon rimless, G2 radion, Vertex 130, MP10w
60 gallon rimless, G3 radion, Vertex 130, MP40QD
drawman is offline   Reply With Quote