View Single Post
Unread 03/21/2017, 01:36 PM   #713
mhucasey
Acros & wieners, oh my!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdemos View Post
Goes to show, different systems sometimes different results. While I'm with you 100% about the orange residue, I have this as well but seemingly not to the extent you had. If anything I find the new (and older) DVH AIO pellets to hold up very well in durability. In my case I also had a long run with DocT's pellets and for me they broke down extremely rapidly and take a look at this sludge it would clog so bad I'd have to completely take down my reactor weekly! I first encountered this sludge with TLF brand and switched to DocTs upon recommendation. Sludge problem persisted. I've been AIO now for approx 1 yr and no more sludge like this. Yes orange grime but it doesn't impact flow like the others.

Look forward to your report lunar

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That sludge is the bacterial biomass that you are trying to grow. It's sticky stuff and can clog pipes for sure. Out of the four varieties of standard pellets I have tried the Dr. Tim's pellets grew the most bacteria, followed by the DVH standard pellets.

See my tank thread here: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2468548

Current Tank Info: 120 Gallon Rimless Starphire Shallow Reef. Reef Octopus Diablo EXT-200 skimmer, Chaeto Reactor, Lighting: ATI Sunpower 8X39W, 6X39W Sunpower
mhucasey is offline   Reply With Quote