View Single Post
Unread 12/02/2002, 01:36 PM   #6
simonh
Premium Member

Sorry about the picture quality on some of the images. I had the wrong setting on the camera and failed to notice until I downloaded them just now.

First image is of my 3 most affected clams. On the left is the worst affected T. squamosa which has been affected for 8 months or so. After been in quaranteen and moved back into the main tank it started growing again and looked great. After a short while it started showing symptoms again. Over the last week it has deterioated quickly. Middle back is a T. crocea which seems to exhibit scrunched mantle like in some of the picture in other threads rather than the severe pinching. It has been like that for 12 months or more and has really struggled to put on much growth as it seems to have been affected so much during this time. On the right is a T. maxima again which hasn't put on too much growth and has probably suffered for 12-18 months.

All these clams were bought looking perfect but on introduction to my tank developed the symptoms along with the rest of my clams. I have since noticed similar symptoms on some of the clams at my LFS and I know my LFS lost two 10 year old clams in his display tank around 18-24 months ago with the same sort of symptoms.

Here is an image of a clam that I moved into a quaranteen tank along with a couple of others for a few months during the summer. It had suffered the problem on and off for 18 months or so. This one seemed to make a full recovery in the Q tank and upon moving back has shown maybe 1cm growth after been dormant all the time it was afflicted. This clam has not re-developed the problem after quarenteen. I dipped it anyway.

Here's the clams 5 minutes after the dip:

I'll keep everyone up-to-date on any further developments.

Current Tank Info: 240 gallon, mainly Acropora dominated
simonh is offline   Reply With Quote