View Single Post
Unread 03/21/2012, 03:01 PM   #343
MammothReefer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by galleon View Post
What caused your bacteria bloom?

What caused mine?
Both of our bacteria blooms were caused by adding to much of a food source (carbon in your case) for the bacteria present in your system in unstable ill equipped tanks to handle the increased bacteria, (the bacteria was then consumed by the algae hence the green water)

You added to much vinegar, I did to large of water change with fresh NSW.

However from my understand (and I say this with confidence but not with 100% certainty). The cause of demises in both our tanks what not the bacteria bloom it's self, but the oxygen being rapidly depleted.

Your quick action saved yours, and I hope your UV filter will keep things in check. (I've used ozone but have no experience with uv filter so it may do the trick I can't speak one way or the other on it)

At the time my only thought was "to do another water change" with the only water I had on hand more NSW... It didn't help, my tank established enough, and at the time I didn't know that had I simply increase the o2 in the water it would have had less of an impact animals until it subsided. (which I have experienced going forward on tanks that have had bac blooms but no ill effects to the inhabitants)

What did your ORP test at when you said all your parameters were on par?

On another note; What constitutes as a cycled tank? What I notice here if yes you say the tank was cycled 2 small piece of non-porous tonga branch, from Nov? Do you not feel that when you add corals, or pieces that have a mass that is significantly equivalent to that of the sum of your rock that you're tank will not re-cycle? While I agree the presence ammonia is what people test for in terms of cycle completion. I don't believe we can assume that solely the lack ammonia is a sign of stability and the completion of "cycling" for an SPS capable tank. This can be compounded by large water changes (100%) where you are removing anything beneficial that is present in your water leaving you with very little surface area for things to re-cultivate from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by galleon View Post
To hell with this, this is stupid and pointless. Take any stable tank, put too much labile organic carbon in it all at once, watch what happens.

End of discussion.
Well.. that about sums it up. I'm stupid discussion, debate, and conversation with me is pointless. I'm glad you can share your tank with us. I wish you the best of success. I look forward to future updates but will not participate in the discussion.
Take care, and I do hope hope there are no hard feeling on a personal level. If we ever meet at a conference, drinks are on me!
-B

Current Tank Info: 105 Peninsula

Last edited by MammothReefer; 03/21/2012 at 03:09 PM.
MammothReefer is offline   Reply With Quote