View Single Post
Unread 03/21/2012, 12:19 PM   #330
galleon
Registered Member

Quote:
He then goes and adds a MASSIVE carbon source to the tank which in turns causes a bacteria bloom, which is then consumed by algae turning the water green. Am I wrong?
Yes.

I spiked the pH, dumb mistake number 1. Dumb mistake number 2: bring the pH down the fastest way possible, using available vinegar. This happened on February 28th. Once the pH was stable, I did a 100% water change.

The bacteria bloom has little to actually do with the stability of my system and more to do with the fact that it was a sudden addition of a labile organic carbon source to a system where such labile carbon availability for heterotrophic bacteria was not the norm. Ask Thales what happened when his tank had a pH spike and he used vinegar to bring it down. His "ego" caused him to write a whole article about it!!!

The tank has been up since November, FWIW. That has been mentioned before but largely ignored in favor of slandering it as an uncycled unstable system. No one has actually offered any evidence that my filtration is inadequate.

Despite the water change, bacteria still bloomed, and caused what I suspect was a DO crash, cue RTN, Another 100% and the tank was fine for several days. No more organic carbon sources were added, not even food, no more recession, cleaned skimmer, glass, carbon etc. Things were looking better. THEN, a SEVERAL days later (on March 10th), an almost instant bloom that looked like a phyto bloom occurred.

You accused me in PM of, despite being a marine scientist, having little experience. Scroll up a few posts and you will see that is clearly not the case. Did you ever wonder where all those friends you accused me of having jump in actually came from?

Quote:
He then goes and does a 100% water change which while fixing the problem in the shorty term is simply going to reset everything again for the future.
Then let that stand as your prediction and I won't say another peep to you. I will however, keep this thread updated. Cheers.

Last edited by galleon; 03/21/2012 at 12:27 PM.
galleon is offline   Reply With Quote