Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mash2k
Aye cap'n,

I see you wasted no time *grin*

The following is why I prefer caulerpa:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by mr.wilson
Chaeto is good if you want an algae that won't get sucked into pumps or spread throughout the sump. The down side is it's a slow grower, and it traps detritus. It also tends to grow in a large ball, with the areas exposed to light flourishing, while the greater shadowed area slowly dies off. The die off often goes unnoticed as the bound nitrate and and phosphate is returned to the system.

Algae will not grow well in a 24 hour photoperiod. Photosynthesis requires a six hour period of darkness for proper respiration. A 16 hour photoperiod will not lead to seasonal cues (shorter days) that cause algae to reproduce.

Allowing caulerpa to overgrow the space to the point of shadowing itself is the most common environmental cue (stress) for sexual reproduction. A shallow tray of caulerpa will grow quickly, remove more organics, will not crash (sexually reproduce), and will not trap detritus. Caulerpa is also more useful, as it's a food source for the fish in the display tank.

I really like what caulerpa does, but I also have read where there are some that use many combinations of Macro, or plants to get the best of all benefits. I may try this in the future.
Thanks for your prompt and detailed repy Mash
I'll present the other side of the coin er algae

first of all caulerpa can go sexual unlike chaeto algae--given that possibility it rules it out for me
This article might sway you a bit--I was
http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/20...nftt/index.php

I have had no trouble growing lots and lots of chaeto--the picture was taken about 6 months ago--and I have just as much if not more then before---

but as mash stated you have to rotate the cheato ball at least once a week and harvest off the dying area.
But this is what you should be doing anyways to totally remove nitrates and phosphates from your water column

Because of the density of the ball it floats low in the refugium and given that it doesn't use spores like caulerpa it doesn't end up in the main tank and or take over like caulerpa would.

Also because of the density of the chaeto ball once every two weeks or so I have to turn up the flow in the refugium a bit and shake the ball ----again this is a good procedure because it reintroduces nutrients, bacteria, and inverts back into the water column. If you have a good handle on controlling your phosphate and dissolved organics---phosban reactor and protein skimmer--then there is not much problem in causing an algae bloom by this method.

Contradictory to Mash--chaeto does grow well with the lights on 24/7--if you fully rotate the ball once a week.

Current Tank Info: 150gal long mixed reef, 90gal sump, 60 gal refugium with 200 lbs live rock