View Single Post
Unread 01/07/2013, 10:19 AM   #123
Prestigious
Registered Member

You probably know what your doing just fine but I will make some suggestions.

Looks like your going with a RDSB for denitrification. By your diagram though I cant tell how large the DSB section is and depending on your bioload I am not sure if it will be big enough to export all your nitrates. I dont remember reading what you plan for phosphate export? I assume you will be using GFO? With that setup you would potentially have to frequently replace GFO (or regenerate) and do water changes. I will suggest using a smaller sized algae scrubber instead of GFO&DSB. These things are beasts at exporting phosphate and nitrate and can even starve your corals if they are oversized (too big, too much light, too long a photoperiod, etc). This will allow you to not rely so much on skimming and even let you get a smaller skimmer if you havnt already bought your skimmer. Also, water changes would ony be for the purpose of trace element replacement.

But, if your set with DSB I have some suggestions. Putting it in your sump + the small amount of space you have from top of sump to bottom of tank stand makes it very difficult to maintain/clean/pump out detritus. Consider plumbing those surge tank buffers you have on a "through" system and using those as RDSBs so you can pull them out and hose them as needed. Also, you mentioned calurpa... I would scratch that and use nothing or chaeto.... although you wont get very good growth if running with GFO.

Hope this helps

Prestigious is offline   Reply With Quote