View Single Post
Unread 07/22/2017, 02:02 PM   #12
Horace
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabulousfavia View Post
If I were you I would just start out with a basement sump. I doubt noise would be an issue even if you had your filtration under your stand, but if you do a basement sump you will have room for qt tanks, frag growout stations, and maybe a small fish room.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah, I hear you on that. I really do want a basement sump, but there are several minor hangups that go along with it.

To name a few:
- I need to cut holes in the wall of my brand new house

- I need to run very long pipes and the head pressure is extreme. I do have a pump that can handle it (DCP18000 I test it and its more than enough flow), and it will be way overkill for an under-stand setup, but I can dial it down because its a DC pump.

- I cant easily control anything in the basement with my apex if I put the apex with my tank, OR vice versa, if I put the apex in the basement, I cant easily control anything in the tank w/out super long wires. I would also have to use the app as opposed to the display panel (probably not a big negative really), because going downstairs to do anything would be a PITA. My current challenge is how would i turn off all pumps to feed? If I do a sump install, it would require likely both triggering the feed button on the main pump, AND the in tank pumps, unless I ran a long wire from the tank down to the pump (doable I suppose).

- I am a bit concerned with sump overflows given the amount of water backflowing to the sump during power shut down (i do not want check valves, or are they dependable). Because of such a long run of fairly large return line (1.25"), that is quite a bit of water that has to be accounted for in the sump for standard running level. Any slight clog in my siphon break could end up with water on the floor (the positive is at least it would be in the basement and more easily contained.

- Overall, the setup is more costly, and much more labor intensive to setup.

Current Tank Info: New 180g Mixed SPS Build in progress
Horace is offline   Reply With Quote