View Single Post
Unread 10/16/2018, 08:37 AM   #10
mattgumaer
Registered Member

To jump into the great (and never ending) lighting debate, very broadly, I think it is fair to say the following:

1) t-5s are proven and will work fine; potential disadvantages include lack of shimmer (if you want it), bulb changes and lack of control. I would think a 6 bulb t-5 fixture would grow whatever you want;

2) MH are proven and arguably still the 'gold standard' for long time, hard core SPS growers. Disadvantages are heat, bulb changes, lack of control (and possibly electricity cost);

3) more expensive LEDs- largely 'puck' style lights with multiple colors included in each 'puck' to blend colors. These lights often offer the user a crazy amount of control, which can be a good thing or a bad thing, depending on your perspective. Radions have a ton of control, Kessils less so. Puck style LEDs can be subject to significant variations in lighting intensity across the tank. My own rules for puck style LEDs would be: 1) hang them high; 2) get more than the 'recommended' number of fixtures; and/or 3) turn them down and supplement with t-5. A par meter is a great tool to have, particularly when setting up LEDs.

4) less expensive LEDs- typically have individual LEDs spread out over a bigger area. This is an advantage in terms of evening out light intensity but, a disadvantage in terms of color blending. They normally have less control than the expensive LEDs, which, again, can be a plus or minus depending on your perspective.

Any/all of the above can probably work so, the decision may come down to user preference, priorities and budget. Personally, I think its harder to do well with just puck style LEDs than with MH or t-5 but, I love the control they offer. My ultimate solution was to do a combination of Radions with t-5s (kept my sunrise and sunset control while evening out my light).

Matt

mattgumaer is offline   Reply With Quote