View Single Post
Unread 03/08/2018, 10:10 PM   #6
BrettDS
Registered Member

If you’re tearing down the tank anyway then you’ll have to drain it and remove the rock at some point. Can you wait to catch the fish until you can partially drain it and pull out some or all of the rock?

If not, one way I’ve been able to catch a number of fish in my 220 is to wait until several hours after the lights have been out, then turn the lights on full blast and go in with a net. The fish are groggy from having just woken up and somewhat blinded by the sudden bright lights and you have a few minutes where they will be easy to scoop up with a net.

Unfortunately this method didn’t work for my blue hippo tang who sleeps nestled deep inside the rocks and my wrasse who buries himself in the sand to sleep, but I was able to get most of my other fish this way.

The way I got the tang and the wrasse out was to get several feet of netting material from a craft store and cover the rocks on one side of the tank with it. That keeps the fish from darting into the rocks as you try to catch them. Then when they go over to that side of the tank I was able to use one net in my left hand to keep them on the netted side of the tank and a net in my right hand to catch them and pull them out.

BrettDS is offline   Reply With Quote