View Single Post
Unread 11/07/2018, 07:14 PM   #9
HarlequinTusk
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davocean View Post
What the manufacturer is saying is don't do what some people have done and put too thick of foam sheeting that actually pushes on tank bottom, or does not allow it to sit as designed.
Personally I always build w/ a ply subtop for every tank, a trimmed tank just will not touch it, but a ply sub top adds a great deal of strength and rides minor deviations that typically come on a dimensional lumber frame.
Any glass flex is very slight, it will not touch ply bottom
In the interest of accuracy, I should have posted my question along with the response from the manufacturer.

Question:
I'll be purchasing either a 180 gal or 210 gal Aqueon aquarium. I will be building my own stand. I've read that for a glass aquarium, the stand only needs to brace the edges (and the center support for larger tanks). I'd like to put a layer of 3/4" plywood on the top to more fully support the weight of the aquarium. Is this OK to do....or does the glass need to be able to expand downwards into an open area? Any advice would be appreciated.

Answer:
You do not want anything pressing upward on the glass. Only the perimeter of the tank needs to be supported. The glass does need to be able to flex a little.

So technically, the response is stating (or at least implying) not to use plywood as that's what I stated I wanted to do. Not trying to be argumentative here. It's very possible that the guy that responded doesn't know what he's talking about. If multiple people here have put the tank directly on plywood and not had a problem, then I'm guessing it's safe.

HarlequinTusk is offline   Reply With Quote