View Single Post
Old 01/26/2009, 02:52 PM   #106
EnglishRebel
Retired Rebel Reefer

Need Help with Fuge Drain

Bean
I need some advice although it's not related to your design I thought that with your experience of overflows you could help.
I have a fuge with a discharge chamber which has a gravity drain back to my sump which is about 12" lower.
Here's what I started with:

The problem was that bubble caused by the water flowing over the weir into the discharge chamber got back to the sump where they were sucked into my main pump intake. I had to keep a fairly large flow to the fuge to keep the water level about two thirds up so the bubbles didn't enter the drain. I don't want this much water flowing through my fuge so I tried this to fix it:

Same problem. I went to Lowes and picked up a tee and cap. I cut off the vertical PVC and added the tee with the hose connecting to the horizontal and the cap on the vertical. I installed a John Guest valve fitting on the top of the cap and ran a 1/4" line into the fuge discharge chamber (just like your design). My thinking was that at pump shutdown for feeding the water in the fuge discharge chamber would be uncovered and break the syphon. Didn't work so I closed the valve and I'm back to where I started.
Any ideas on how I can keep the water level high with a low flow?
Thanks

"Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few. "
Sir Winston Churchill praising those young RAF pilots.
August 20th 1940
Click on my name for drop down list and select "Visit EnglishRebels Home Page" for my build thread.

Current Tank Info: 60x30x24 200G AO custom glass tank, basement equipment room, 30G and 55G Fuges, LifeReef sump & 30" skimmer.

Last edited by Misled; 10/30/2017 at 07:50 PM.
EnglishRebel is offline   Reply With Quote