View Single Post
Unread 05/20/2017, 10:57 AM   #18
jason2459
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpb View Post
I would disagree on narrow focus. Just prefer something better than the API alkalinity and nitrate testers specifically. I use them on my freshwater tanks though and am fine with that. Everyone is welcome to use whatever they like. But if the op is presenting an argument for or against testing, and states that he uses an API alk test, naturally I'll recommend something better. Otherwise what's the point of the post if not to ask for some recommendations

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well, you believe the majority of people that have an aquarium are SPS keepers and care about high resolution on an alk kit. You threw out the arbitrary percentage. That tells me you have a narrow focus on the hobby.

You also mentioned the API kit can be thrown away as garbage. I countered it is not and serves its purpose just fine.

To add, just because a kit offers high resolution doesn't make it more accurate. There are certain parameters where high resolution can be benificial. Some like Alk high resolution could be benificial to some and others not at all. The recommended range for alk is rather wide from 7dkh to 11dkh.

Keeping alk stable is good. Having high resolution may be interesting but having a high resolution kit is not necessary. A small swing in alkalinity happens all the time anyway. If you want ultimate control then some thing like the kH Gaurdian is out and others like it are to follow.

Otherwise I rarely test my alkalinity levels. I watch my pH and if it swings more or less then normal then I might check my alkalinity as it may be low or high and not buffering the pH like it was.

Many ways to do this. But I have yet to see anything convincing that shows the API kit is junk.

You can check out my parameters at reeftronics dot net website and look for my username.

Current Tank Info: 180g mixed reef w/ a beananimal overflow to a dolomite RRUGF. | 20g long G. Smithii Mantis Tank
jason2459 is offline   Reply With Quote