View Single Post
Unread 03/23/2006, 03:50 PM   #1
Travis L. Stevens
Registered Member

The Ultimate DIY Rocks!

This is going to be in a journal style, so bare with me. I'll give you background first.

Of course, like many reefers, I was strapped for cash starting up this hobby. 300 lbs of live rock for my up and coming 125g was just too expensive. So, I did a little research and stumbled on the many versions of DIY Rock. From crushed coral to crushed oyster shell to PVC shavings to noodles. I've pretty much read it all. So, I went with a decision just to try it to see how it worked. I went through several batches.

First Batch

Well, since my first batch was a test run, I decided to just use crushed oyster shell and cement. Crushed Oyster Shell at Atwoods was about $8 for 40 lbs. Portland Cement Type One was $10 for about 90 lbs. I mixed it to a rather thick consistency of about 4 parts Crushed Oyster Shell to 1 part Portland Cement. I then would grab a small clump and toss it on a cookie sheet. I would take a second clump and toss it on the first. I then repeated the process until I found the size and shape I wanted. There were also some that I hand shaped to make little crevices, caves, and indentions. It didn't work out well, but that is why it was a test batch. I then took them and baked them in the oven at 250*F because I didn't want to wait for it to dry for 24 hours. It took a few hours to bake. I then plopped some of them in the back of the toilet and others in buckets and tubs. I let them cure until the pH was a steady 8.2-8.3 and took them out.

Here is my conclusion to the first batch of rocks
Pros: Easy to make. Very cheap. Moderately easy to form. Unique outward appearance. Solid strength
Cons: Thick. Heavy. Very dense. Rough and sharp. Able to cut and scrape.

Here is a Cost breakdown:
40lb bag of Crushed Oyster Shell - $8
90lb Bag of Portland Cement - $10
Total: About $0.21/lb

Here are some pictures of the first batch of rocks.

Free Form Rocks

Two Rocks with Flat Ends Put Together

All the Rocks

Rocks Put Together

....To be continued.....

Current Tank Info: Restarting 28g Bowfront

Last edited by griss; 08/29/2006 at 10:55 AM.