View Single Post
Unread 06/07/2017, 07:23 AM   #244
JonezNReef
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgjetlag View Post
Yeah, I suspect that the SPS brown out is due to their new location under LED's. They came from under Halides at the store. These are an Orphek product and should have more than enough PAR to support SPS, especially where I have them at the top of the tank. Thing is, even with the color 'shift' that I'm hoping is temporary, some colonies are looking good with full polyp extension while others are obviously struggling and a few are showing tissue death around the base progressing upwards.

As far as what's new; pretty much everything. I've been continually adding stock to the tank over the past 3 months. It's the newer arrivals (which are loaded towards SPS) which are showing signs of stress. I caught my NO3 higher than I thought it was, at 10ppm. Five 30 gal water changes later (over a week) and the level is down to 2ppm. I've also started dosing Red Sea's NOPOX (basically carbon dosing) in order to establish and maintain healthy levels of denitrifying bacteria. Still looking into how to set that up with a dosing pump so that it doesn't evaporate out!

If something I added to the tank introduced a disease, etc, I'd have no idea what. Just going to try to keep parameters healthy, clean, and stable. Fingers crossed that those under stress will adapt and recover....
Ive had this happen with new arrivals too. Sometimes they just can't get used to YOUR water because your tank could have stuff in it that wasn't present in the LFS's tank. Not too much is known, atleast from what Ive read, when it comes to RTN and your parameters are in check with no swings but it still happens. Water changes always helped out but sometimes even thats not enough. Keep us posted on your plenum. I am still curious about them. How did you set yours up?

Current Tank Info: System 1 Mixed Reef: 180g DT,180g Fuge, 120g Sump http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2611735
JonezNReef is offline   Reply With Quote