View Single Post
Unread 03/22/2005, 07:23 AM   #55
sammiefish
Registered Member

After the dive he attributed the low air to an equipment failure (his secondary was leaking) but it doesnt really explain his behavior... it seems to me he would have tried to let us know he was having problems... Maybe he wanted to descend to the abyss and embark upon the big sleep... Otherwise it may have been narcosis.. we were at 110ft... just flying. We never did get an explaination for the behavior... but remember, we couldnt really communicate before the dive due the language barrier (he spoke French) and after we got him back on the boat safely I wasnt talking too much to him!! After he was safe I really felt like slapping him in the head.. of course I didnt do that. He didnt even have the decency to thank us for likely saving his life or at least grave injury.

So, If you see a lone diver, with all the BEST equipment (looking new too) that doesnt speak your language... tell the captain he's on his own! Im not sure I would really leave a diver out in the cold like that with no buddy but I know that I will be much more thorough in my pre-dive stranger buddy size-up. But, Im a PADI Divemaster and I guess this is what all the training was for. Now I have a battle story to tell... I just hope I dont get another! Just goes to show, its important to keep a sharp eye and trust your instincts... if something doesnt seem quite right at 110 ft... it probably isnt!

sammiefish is offline   Reply With Quote