View Single Post
Unread 04/28/2012, 02:09 PM   #16
fla2341
Registered Member

Clownfishfan: That's pretty much along the lines I was thinking.

Bad news update: Out of 100+ eggs only 4 developed into pro-larva. The rest either stalled in development or were infertile.

Things which changed over last clutches:

#1. We had a cold front come thru last week and the tank temp went to 79 degrees for 2 days.

#2. This is the first time they have spawned for 5 consecutive days.

I don't think the tank temp had anything to do with the quality of eggs as they have spawned before at this temp and I had 100% pro-larva develop albeit at a slower rate. This might be a factor of nutrition or of the fish themselves.

The next photos show the abnormal development. You will see aborations as well as stalled development. One photo shows a dead pink egg. I've gotten dead pink eggs before (3-4) from some previous spawns. I beleive this is just a factor of length of removal from the tank.

I'm going to stop them from spawning for a day or two and see what transpires from there. If they stop then that will give me time to address the nutrition issue before they start back up again.

Food:
400ml white shrimp - shelled, tails only
300ml RO water
50ml kelp meal
50ml spirulina powder
50ml krill meal

Pour into a blender and it produces a gell like paste. Spread it out on a cookie sheet and freeze. Cut into sheets and put into heavy duty freezer bags.

I also feed frozen mysis and live brine raised on nanno and spirulina/kelp meal.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg abnormal 1.jpg (38.6 KB, 360 views)
File Type: jpg abnormal 2.jpg (32.7 KB, 237 views)
File Type: jpg abnormal 3.jpg (27.2 KB, 197 views)
File Type: jpg abnormal 4.jpg (32.8 KB, 218 views)
File Type: jpg abnormal 5.jpg (36.6 KB, 218 views)