View Single Post
Unread 05/12/2016, 01:43 PM   #83
Pablos RSM 450
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason2459 View Post
I have known people to contact IO and send them samples of the salt for them to test. They have also sent back replacment salt when the original tested bad.

Then this is also what this thread is partly about. Getting a good general consensus of around what to expect for any particular salt brand. If your tests deviate greatly then there may be one of several reasons.

1. Testing error (most commonly caused by either bad reagents, bad device, bad calibration, inconsistent testing procedures, or bad testing procedures)
1b. Salinity is to low or high due to being on purpose or back to #1 with how salinity is tested

2. Salt bag/box not used in its entirety and has different parameters depending on where a sample is taken from. Mixing the bag/box as best as possible before use.

3. Bad Salt batch

But to also keep in mind small deviations will occur from batch to batch and test to test.

I would expect Ca to be with in a +/-20ppm range, Alk with in +/- 1dkh, and Mg +/- 50-60'sh
Thanks for the advice. I contacted them and was given a case number with a request to send 2-4 cups of the salt.

Current Tank Info: Red Sea Reefer 450
Pablos RSM 450 is offline   Reply With Quote