View Single Post
Unread 01/25/2017, 07:27 PM   #1
adtravels
you cant buy blue fingers

Tunze 9410 dc skimmer pump noise

Dear forum

I purchased the aforementioned skimmer after reviews were favorable and I am sure what I am experiencing is new pump issues but would like to check a few things that are not in the troubleshooting section of the manual.

1. The skimmer pump is extremely noisy on initial start up (1-2 seconds) before any air draw and when running with no air going into the pump (pinching the airline)

I removed the pump from the body, removed the volute cover and inspected the impeller, ceramic bearings and rubber shaft caps, all smooth and ok.
the skimmer sits in 210 mm of water and the pump is firmll secured to the body, I have also inverted the pump to let any air escape.

2. As air is allowed to mix the noise reduced significantly but and audible hum is still heard and this increases as the power level to the dc pump is increased to up to 100%.

There is little if any noise coming from vibration it all eminates from the pump.

My question is; Is a loud noise expected from this pump when there is only water passing through it? It is a really loud noise akin to a hammer drill through a wall but as stated when air is mixed there is a significant difference.

Thanks, I would like to state that I really like Tunze products and have had nothing but favorable experience in over 15 years using the products.

False facts are highly injurious to the progress of science, for they often endure long; but false views supported by some evidence, do little harm, for every one takes a salutary pleasure in proving their falseness.

Current Tank Info: 90 gallon 36x24x24 reef
adtravels is offline   Reply With Quote