View Single Post
Unread 10/12/2017, 09:13 PM   #15
Kinetic
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gig 'em View Post
The anemone looks pretty healthy to me to be honest, the tentacles have good shape and aren't flaccid or stretched out too much. Honestly I never feed anemones, I think it's s common misconception that anemones need to be fed regularly. My friends and I who own multiple anemones have stopped feeding ours entirely and they seem to be very happy. I tried heavily feeding my anemones before and their health actually started to decline. IMO a healthy and happy anemone can survive on light alone in a mature tank.

But Just curious, how old is your tank? People raise the point that your rock is white because even a well aged and mature tank will add some color to brand new rock. Not that you can't have success in a newer tank, but it can explain why critters aren't successful.
That's good to know. My last RBTA I never fed either, but I figured I would ask.

I understand why people talk about newer tanks, I do that too sometimes! Clean tanks usually lead to questionable starts, like if you can feed the tank like crazy and have enough bacteria built up to handle it, if your parameters are stable enough, if you have enough pods and such to pickup any detritus and help break things down (or feed animals that aren't directly eating).

I chose to go slow, and keep nutrients low from the start. using dead/dry rock and sand, and dosing ammonium chloride to thoroughly cycle and test my tank's abilities, it really has left my tank looking really clean. If you look closely, there are pods running around, brown algae film everywhere. I have had nassarius, trochus, and cerith snails in the tank for awhile (none have died, though I only have 4, 10, and 10 of each, so not too many, but enough to keep some junk at bay). Also running a gigantic chaeto reactor that is probably outcompeting most algae at the moment.

I think I'm too careful to a fault. Photography is huge for me, so I hope to try to keep it as clean and photogenic as possible. I guess it looks unnatural? =P

Kinetic is offline   Reply With Quote