View Single Post
Unread 02/01/2011, 11:43 PM   #57
nightOwl
Premium Member

SPotter,
Thanks for the pictures of the sump. I had a chance to play around with my sump tonight . I am in the process of building a filter sock holder into my sump. I cut a piece tonight and now I have to find a 3.3" holesaw for two filter socks to rest in.

BowieReefer84,
Welcome to the party . Those zip ties came in handy for sure . They worked so well I went out and purchased some more just in case.

I am going with CaribSea SeaFlor Special Grade sand. I have used it in the past with great results with jawfish. It doesn't fly around too much and they seem to be able to build with it pretty well. I crush up some shells and make a few places where they can "shop" for rock and rubble. It is so funny to see them "shopping" for just the right rock.

Updates - General
I was able to complete the tank screen covers. The clear netting looks pretty nice. The only change I might make is to paint the aluminum black.

I had never used Tunze pumps before, but tonight I got antsy still waiting for the drill bits and pulled the Apex out the box fired it up and connected the two Tunze pumps. All I can say is these things are sooooooo quiet. The amount of noise they make is much less than expected for their size. I could hear my MP10's across the room ramping up and down over the sound of two Tunze pumps. It was hard to tell how much water they are pushing but I could see the pumps working. I was only using the default settings on the Apex. I will have to do the real tweaking after I actually read the manual .
Sump – Sump Construction Underway - Update
Tonight I cut the pieces for the filter sock holder I mentioned above, the dividers, and the refugium separator. I have to make a tooth jig for creating the teeth.