View Single Post
Unread 12/25/2014, 04:44 PM   #11
gcarroll
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryopsis View Post
They're a household name in Europe. As far as I know, there's only 1 distributor here in the states.
Household name? I beg to differ. A quick google search will reveal very little discussion regarding this product. Most of all talk on this light is done on various blog sites. who are all regurgitating the info released from the manufacturer.

Quote:
PUR is a completely appropriate topic though when it comes to lights. It's still another measurement that means something. It's not just a fancy word like AI, Radion, Kessil, Maxspect would like you to believe.
You might think PUR is unnecessary or the brand isn't well known, I see the opposite of this.
Another measurement? How can you say that. Every brand you just mentioned produces more PUR than the Aquaray. And the reason I can say that is because my measurement is as accurate as anyone else's regarding PUR. All the fixtures you mentioned produce more than enough PAR for photosynthesis of our animals. The only difference is that there are several examples out there with long term results using those other fixtures. Show us the results of those using the Aquaray. I want to see before and after shots with the Aquaray. Maybe a year or so of progress. Not just pics of some tank that pulled off the MH or T5, put up the Aquaray and took photos.

Quote:
Why does nobody use the balling lite system, or even the Triton method? I don't see a lot on the Triton method, that doesn't mean it's irrelevant. That's why I enjoy my time on the European forums more than the US forums. Any way you slice it, the Europeans and other countries have been keeping fish much longer than the United States folks. I surely won't dismiss anyones methods etc, but I think the bottom line is they have more experience in the fishkeeping hobby. (by several hundreds years at least)
Sorry bud but I live in So Cali. Many people here use the balling system and others are starting to use the Triton method as well. Heck Triton USA is headquartered here. The Europeans are not any more advanced than we are. Yes they have companies that try new things but really are those methods a necessity? No, just another method to keep reefs. Keep in mind that Reef Central is an international forum, not a US forum. Consider how many European tanks have been TOTM.

Quote:
Over in the European forums you see these crazy tanks running for years with no water changes yet doing just fine supplementing additives.
In the USA, people say additives are the devil and I see the majority of people asking how to keep some of the basic chemistry in check.
So what. Maybe they needed to come up with a way to do less water changes because it is far more expensive than it is here in the US. Just because you don't do water changes and are successful doesn't mean your method is better. It merely means its another way that works. Forums are for sharing information. Do you have a problem with newbs coming on to ask basic questions. I don't!

Quote:
I won't make any assumptions on who's right, but I see a lot of bickering on the US forums as compared to legitimate progress between multiple people in the Euro forums. It's definitely something to think about.
Bickering as you call it. It is also called debating. Questioning progress is the only way we can confirm that the new method is in fact progress!

SPS = Stability Promotes Success
Be wary of advice coming from those who will not show you the fruits of their success!

Current Tank Info: building: 250g AGE Euro tank, Abyzz A200, Vertex Supra-G filtration, Ecotech Radion Pro LEDs, ...