View Single Post
Unread 01/10/2019, 01:06 PM   #11
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmscuba View Post
I can appreciate your concern but in case you didn’t read my original post I’ve been doing this for over 30 years, so far from a newb here bro. The top off water is pretty standard knowledge, and I am running an ATO with RODI water.

And why do you say 4ppm ammonia to start the nitrogen cycle is too high? Everyone I know uses that stars. 1ppm percday over 4 days until level is 4ppm and then justvwait and let nature take its course.
I read your post to start.. I often include information in posts on internet forums that will not only benefit you the original poster but others that may not be as "knowledgeable".

As to the ammonia levels..
Studies have show that as you near/exceed the 5mg/L limit you are getting to a level where you are potentially stunting bacterial development and potentially killing it vs feeding its growth..
Its commonly recommended to only dose up to 1 or 2ppm to stay clear of that peak point where growth turns to stunting.. 1 or 2ppm is more than sufficient to have a successful cycling process and effectively take care of new tank bioloads,etc..
Your original post also simply mentioned (dosing) which can indicate the act of dosing is still going on. I just didn't want you to continue dosing "if" you were still doing such.. You have reached a point (very commonly seen with excessive carbon dosing) where bacterial levels are high enough that this snot forms. That is typically a point that indicates an excessive level and lets you know to back down on the dosage..