View Single Post
Unread 05/17/2018, 06:41 AM   #9
Imaexpat2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkgar View Post
What are you quarantining corals for?
Well lets see...

There is Red Bugs, Zoa Eating Nudi's, Flat Worms, just to name a few. Then there is always the possibility that a frag will have Bryopsis (sp?), Bubble Algae, Dictoya (sp?), Aptasia, Majano Anemones just to name a few of the nasties that while controllable are much easier dealt with if you dont have it in your Display tank that you have hundreds of dollars tied up in if not a few thousand! I would much rather loose a coral in my QT than to put it in my display and potentially end up loosing everything! Its like your old Grandma used to say...."A ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure". She didnt get old by being foolish or stupid, did she?

Besides how many Local Fish Stores have you walked in that didnt have some hair algae, bubble algae, Bryopsis, apitasia or something in at least one tank? How many LFS's actually QT their live stock before putting it in their retail tanks? How many times have you walked into your LFS and saw a fish ate up with Ich? Now how many of those LFS have their tanks linked in a chain or off the same sump or filtration system potentially contaminating the rest of their tanks in the store?

Am I being a little too paranoid? Perhaps. But after you get burned a couple of times...Learning will take place eventually, if not your doomed to repeat it. If you dont introduce it to your tank, you cant very well have a problem with it now, can you? I want to enjoy my tanks and the fruits of my labor, not spend my time fighting it in vain as it withers away. I want my tanks looking breath taking not like they are on life support and gonna flat line any minute now! When I sell a frag to someone, I want to be dang sure I am giving them a frag thats healthy and pest free. Cause I want them to come back for more frags and I want my LFS asking when I am gonna bring them some more frags to sell! There are some games in life I dont want to play, "Russian Roulette" would be just one of those games!!!

Imaexpat2 is offline   Reply With Quote